As a guideline i have used info from Aleksandr Kotiks intership project.
1. I have upgraded the firmware to DD-WRT due to the fact that i wasn’t able to upgrade directly to OpenWRT (don’t know why)
OPTIONAL (or required in some cases is to erase nvram) – mtd -r erase nvram
Link on how i did it: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#How_to_restore_to_factory_firmware
2. I have installed the OpenWRT firmare using openwrt-brcm4716-
squashfs.trx – which Aleksandr recommended.
passwd (then input your password twice)
Now, the router is accesible via SSH
3. I have installed Luci (web interface) through SSH:
– modify the first line (instead of brcm4716 its brcm47xx)
– add at the bottom
arch all 100
arch brcm4716 200
arch brcm47xx 300
opkg install luci
It first didn’t work due to an incompatibilty of some packages in the firmware and i upgraded the the firmware to another and it ruined everything. The router was unable to boot so i had to install OpenWRT without any actually contact with the router. I followed the instructions from
http://moozing.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/installing-openwrt/ (thx Morten) and the router was back to life!!!
4. I have installed Luci again and upgraded some packages
opkg upgrade libuci uci libc opkg busybox base-files dnsmasq libiptc dropbear mtd wl libgcc ppp wlc
Enable and start it:
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
Web interface is now up and running.